Natural Beaded Rows Hair Extensions
Have you thought about getting hair extensions, but aren’t sure if they are right for you?
Perhaps you’ve either had them, heard of them, or know someone who has them. There are as many misconceptions as there are types of extensions. The most advanced style of extensions are Natural Beaded Rows (NBR).
Benefits of Natural Beaded Rows Hair Extensions
- You are in and out of the salon in approximately three hours! In only three hours you can leave totally transformed and feeling more beautiful than when you arrived.
- No glue or tape involved! Since there is no glue or tape to contend with, the removal process is simple and only takes about 10 minutes.
- Natural Beaded Rows hair extensions do little to no damage to natural hair, are lightweight, comfortable and easy to hide!
- The hardest part of having hair extensions is convincing people that it’s not your real hair! No one will believe you have extensions until you show them!
What to know about Natural Beaded Rows Hair Extensions
NBR are known for their amazing before-and-after transformations. What’s more important is how good the extensions look under the top layer of natural hair. Color blending and placement play a crucial role in the overall finish, grow out, and the integrity of the client’s natural hair.
Hair Extension Installation Shouldn’t Show
- Not only do we want our guests hair to look great while the extensions are naturally hanging, but we want clients to be able to pull their hair up without the extensions showing. We also want clients to be able to lift the top layers of their hair and hardly notice where the hand tied track sits.
- If your foundation is not placed correctly this can cause the extensions to slip out or possibly break the natural hair. It’s also extremely important to educate guests on how to care for their hair extensions at home and what the maintenance requirement will be to protect the integrity of their natural hair.
Clean Beadwork is a Must
- Clean beadwork and clean sections are imperative. Color blending is very important to create a seamless look; the natural root should match the color of the extensions. Any dimensions throughout the natural hair should be replicated throughout the extension hair.
Hair Extensions Should Be Comfortable
- Another extremely important factor is how comfortable the extensions are on your head. There should be no bulky tracks and beads should not be so tight that you feel like you got a mini-facelift. If rows are too heavy or the foundational beads are too tight, it will cause damage.
What is the process for installing Natural Beaded Row hair extensions?
The installation process of natural beaded row extensions is the least damaging method of hair extensions that we have found. First, your natural hair is colored to match the wefts of hair that have been carefully chosen to ensure the end result blends seamlessly. The hair is then shampooed, toned, and a conditioning treatment is applied. Next, your hair is dried and sectioned off, following the natural head shape. This is where the first weft is to be placed.
The beads are placed along the section and then the weft of hair is clipped along the section before being sewn in place on the beads. This ensures there are the fewest actual points of contact on your natural hair. Depending on your hair goals more than one section will be needed. Once all of your wefts have been placed, your extensions need to be cut so that it blends nicely with your natural hair. Finally, the hair is styled and you’re ready for your selfie!
How to Care for Hair Extensions
Hair Extension Shampooing
Use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to prolong extensions. Redken’s All Soft and Color Extend Magnetics are perfect options. Stay away from protein or texturizing shampoos with extensions. Gently shampoo in between the rows of hair, no need for intense scrubbing or pulling. Deep condition the ends of your extensions once a week. Since extensions are not connected to your scalp and do not receive the nutrients and natural oils they must be hydrated through products.
Hair Extension Styling
Avoid putting hair on top of your head in a towel to dry. Use a leave-in conditioner (Redken’s One United) and a hydrating oil (Redken’s All Soft Argan-6) before brushing out hair with a Wet brush (aka the best brush). Gently brush from ends to the scalp, holding each section of hair to avoid additional tension while brushing. Let hair air dry as much as possible. This cuts down on dry time as well as wear and tear on your extensions. You can use a round brush and a small amount of tension to smooth your hair and the extension hair the last few minutes of your blow-dry. Just remember not to pull too hard. Always use a heat protectant (One United). Avoid pulling hair straight back into a ponytail, as this will create tension on the anchor beads.
Sleeping With Hair Extensions
Brush the hair extension hair out and then place hair in a loose ponytail or braid. Never go to bed while your extensions are wet. Investing in a satin or silk pillowcase and scrunchie will keep your extensions (and natural hair) smoother and prevent tangles.
Can You Swim With Hair Extensions?
Avoid getting chlorine, saltwater and spray tan on your hair extensions. If you’re doing any of those things then it’s best to place your hair in a bun on top of your head so it’s out of the way. Getting the hair extensions wet in chlorine or salt water is not recommended. If you can’t avoid it getting them wet in a pool or the ocean, there are a few steps you can take to minimize any problems that might occur:
1.) Generously coat the hair with a recommended oil and leave-in conditioner before getting extensions wet. Once done, shampoo and condition the hair as soon as possible after getting out of the water.
2.) Avoid contact between extensions and sunscreen, as this can affect the color of the extensions. If you notice any excess tangling or hair shedding, please contact your stylist ASAP.
Salon Maintenance After Getting Your Extensions
Just like you need to retouch your color every so often, you can expect the same for extensions. After your initial install, most re-install appointments need to be made at 8 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows. Going too long between re-installs can cause matting in the space between the weft and your scalp as well as potential breakage. You may also book a one-time mini-move up between re-installs. This usually only takes about 30 minutes and is a great option for those who have faster growing hair to tide them over until their re-install appointment. It is also good practice to come to your re-install and mini-move up appointments with clean hair.
If you would like to have your hair shampooed and styled during your appointment, always let your stylist know so they can allot enough time and expect a standard shampoo/style charge in addition to the extension maintenance charge. Extensions are an investment and as your stylist we will do everything in our power to protect your investment and the better you follow the maintenance guidelines the better the return on your investment.
For all other questions such as how much hair, what length of hair, and cost an extensions consultation is required. Everyone is different and it’s always best to evaluate each individuals needs in person. Ready for the hair of your dreams? Schedule a hair extension consultation with us today and make your dreams a reality!